House was built in 1749. It is a traditional handloom weaver's cottage which
is typical of the South Pennines area. It is located in the Colne Valley area
of West Yorkshire where the Luddites unsuccessfully tried to protect the cottage
industry by smashing the industrial weaving looms in the very early days of
the Industrial Revolution.
The house takes its name from its position on an old transpennine pack horse route.